Prime

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

DIY Chevron Kitchen Table

I wish I would have taken before pictures. My kitchen table is about 7 years old all black and was filled with scratches, dents, and food stains. The type of finish that was on it was very hard to get all the way clean without creating more wear and tear. I was embarrassed of it. I did not want to have my friends over to eat at that table! Yuck! 
My wonderful creative friend Tiffani volunteered to help me with the task of refinishing the table. We weren't exactly sure of the plan to start but knew we needed to sand and repaint. In searching on Pinterest I saw some chevron and thought that would be such a great idea!  It was decided a chevron table it was, easy enough right?
Tiffani brought over her power tools and we got to work. I sanded and she created the pattern. We used cardboard to create one single chevron to use as our template. 
After we sanded we painted the top of the table grey as well as the seat tops. We repainted the rest of the table black. 
We let the paint dry and then started on the chevron. 
We used pencil to outline the template and then painted the black onto the table. We did a couple of coats of the black to make sure it was even and straight. 
After this we let the table sit overnight and restarted again in the morning. 
I picked up bronze glitter glue, black glitter glue and bronze glitter tape from Michaels.  We used the bronze glitter in the black part of the chevron. The black glitter on the seat top, and the bronze glitter tape on the tops of the chair. Then we let everything dry. 
To make everything stick and feel smooth I used polyeuerthene to finish the table. I believe it took about 4-5 coats for it to be even and smooth. 
I love how the table turned out! It was a lot of work but a perfect weekend project. Considering I used left over paint from previous projects it barely cost me anything. 





No comments:

Post a Comment